Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum
TAC Members Forum
If you have arrived here and not yet signed up as a member,
please register below using your real name.

Please create a Username that is your First Name and Surname eg. "Joe Bloggs"
(This will ensure quicker activation and save us the need to contact you about changing it)

Our Forum Membership uses Real Names only.
Aliases, Handles, Pseudonyms or any other types of made-up name are not allowed.
This helps to keep it an open and friendly place. Thanks!

www.rivertac.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  TAC Home PageTAC Home Page  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Thames Water live discharge map
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 6:32 pm by Ed Randall

» Feargal Sharkey accuses Thames Water of sewage 'dumping'
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 4:24 pm by Ed Randall

» COVID-19 - Get Fishing Again
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 1:04 pm by Julian Jones

» Eel Trap Molesey - 2019
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyTue May 05, 2020 12:29 pm by Glyn Jones

» GAS STOVES
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 7:13 am by Keith Collett

» Man missing in Thames at Shepperton
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 pm by Ed Randall

» Semi-Tidal Draw off 2019
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2019 9:55 pm by Ed Randall

» Citizen Science forum at ZSL ~ 29th October 2019
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 28, 2019 4:19 pm by Ed Randall

» Citizen Crane Forum ~ 16th and 29th October 2019
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 28, 2019 4:16 pm by Ed Randall

» Tidefest match result 2019
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 am by Ed Randall

» Closed season retained following public consultation
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 12:20 pm by Ed Randall

» Houseboat destroyed by fire in Hampton
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 am by Ed Randall

» Local tackle shops
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 1:16 pm by Trevor Rowe

» New Season, New Licence...
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 12:24 am by Julian Jones

» FORCE Clean-Up in Donkey Wood ~ Sun 14th April 2019
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 21, 2019 8:19 am by Ed Randall

» The Big one - Farnborough 23rd-24th March 2019
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 11:30 am by Keith Collett

» Thames So Full Of Cocaine It’s Pranging Out London’s Eels
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2019 9:27 am by Trevor Rowe

» "Citizen Crane" project - sampling dates
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 am by Ed Randall

» New Members: Real Names please
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 am by Ed Randall

» Semi-Tidal draw-off 2018
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2018 5:44 pm by Ed Randall

» Thames Water Blitz - 19th/20th October 2018
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 02, 2018 7:21 pm by Ed Randall

» Citizen Crane Forum ~ 26th October 2018
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 7:41 pm by Ed Randall

» Invitation to the 2018 Eel forum ~ 15th October
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 7:38 pm by Ed Randall

» Mystery of dead eels found in rivers
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 6:43 pm by Ed Randall

» Eel Trap Clean Up/ training 5th May 2018 10am
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 6:40 pm by Ed Randall

» A new address for 2017 ~ forum.rivertac.org
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 12:48 pm by Admin

» Hampton Riviera removed
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 10:41 pm by Ed Randall

» Roads closed everywhere ~ July 29th/30th ~ bike race
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 10:14 am by John LeSurf

» *Thames Tunnel (Tideway Tunnel)*
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 am by John LeSurf

» new hotel at hampton court means loss of fishing
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 1:26 pm by Ed Randall

Angling Data View
River Levels
UK Map

Thames Tides

Tidal Sewage and whats left behind

Go down 
+10
Rob Hay
Krzysztof Nowobilski
William Pettigrew
Steve Holmes
Matt Johnson
Admin
Ed Randall
James Page
James Annear
David Harvey
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
David Harvey

David Harvey

Male Posts : 5381

Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 7:42 am

Let us know where is best from you locals, an area with as least mud as possible Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://Rivertac.org
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 6:15 pm

Krzysztof Nowobilski wrote:
Easier to park on the Chiswick side.Free parking in Dukes Meadows, unless Hounslow have decided to put in pay and display.

Very true and lots of parking - was still free last winter.

Chaps the only problem fishing Barnes Sunday morning is it's murderous with the rowers. 4 clubs in Barnes/ Chiswick within half a mile, then all the lot in Putney (dozens of crews) come up aswell.

If you do want to still fish Barnes on a Sunday, although it's easier parking I wouldn't fish the Chiswick side. It's the inside of bend (=rower shortcut) and has rowing clubs on the top and bottom of the bend on that side of the river. If that isn't bad enough, there's buoyage that seems to make it a turning circle there Shocked You'd be better off on the Barnes side of the bank, the outside of the bend.

Or....think about doing it at Kew on the outside of the bend opposite the National Archives. Google Earth 51°28'58.55"N, 0°16'36.07"W. Nearest road Grove Park Rd - free parking. Shingle there with light silt covering, not deep mud.

Less rowing action. And when they do come through they're at least caning it rather than warming up in front of you, which is what happens on the Dukes Meadow bank at Barnes....

Up to you boys, I'll be there whatever Wink
Back to top Go down
James Annear

Male Posts : 670

PostSubject: tidal sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 9:35 pm

I see your point about boats on a sunday morning Steve, and Barnes seems ideal, because as you say its on an outside bend, your going to get boat traffic wherever you go on the river.
I would really like too keep it between Barnes and Putney, because thats where the real problem is, also, i,m thinking of people without transport and Barnes is ideal for train or bus. it would be great if we could get lots of people fishing as its gives a better picture about the state of the river.
As for mud, (i think that stretch is normally shingle/gravel), take a small groundsheet.
cheers
james
Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 11:05 pm

James Annear wrote:

I would really like too keep it between Barnes and Putney, because thats where the real problem is, also, i,m thinking of people without transport and Barnes is ideal for train or bus.
james

Cool by me James - sounds sensible.
Back to top Go down
David Harvey

David Harvey

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 9:09 pm

Let us know a final spot guys and we can get it on the other thread. My knowledge of that part of the river is growing but still limited.
Back to top Go down
Ed Randall

Ed Randall

Male Posts : 3326

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Can someone take a lose-up photo showing the required rig, how much lead weight, what strength line to use, hook size etc. for clueless idiots like me!
Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:18 pm

Probably maggots best to get bites just to see what's there so I'd say a 16 or 18 hook realistically Ed.

I guess 6lb mainline, 8 probably better. Hooklength maybe 2.5lb or 3lb. You're fishing over stones so don't want to be too fine.

3 oz minimum lead. Good to have bigger with you as the tide picks up. Just a running leger - nothing special needed.

Or....you can wade out a bit and trot down a float to see if any dace, roach and perch are still alive.
Back to top Go down
David Harvey

David Harvey

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Good advice sir. I fancy a trot through myself, depends on how much space and how many of us. If we can find an area long enough, should be fine. Smile
Back to top Go down
James Annear

PostSubject: tidal sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Do what you like lads, when i said Blockend feeder and maggots, it was not meant as a "has to" it was meant as the most likely method and easiest to get a bite, might even have a go on the float myself
Back to top Go down
Rob Hay

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Brings a whole new meaning to floater fishing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Keith Collett

Keith Collett

Male Posts : 2557

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 1:50 pm

on passiing the Isleworth Ait we found these outlets of some kind, there are around 8 of them of this pic from google earth

Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 Discha10

Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 Discha11

if you can see it from space, it must be bad

Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 Dsc_0148

Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 Dsc_0149

Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 Dsc_0150

Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 Dsc_0151

Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 Dsc_0152

you r looking 4 the blackish flats bits of water,

the last pic is of all the sea gulls, millions of them, their was a harron every 10Yds of the Ait wall, just waiting for high tide

Back to top Go down
James Page

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 4:22 pm

nice one keith for the pics and the company
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi Keith, that is an outflow from Mogden sewage works
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivertac.org
Ed Randall

Ed Randall

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 8:52 pm

Yep definitely Mogden outlets, I have some other pics on the Thames Tunnel thread:
https://t-a-c.forumotion.com/t415p15-thames-tunnel-tideway-tunnel#9314
Back to top Go down
William Pettigrew

William Pettigrew

Male Posts : 1125

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 5:44 am

it would be good to see these outlets in full flow when they release a big load,and get some pics affraid
Back to top Go down
Ed Randall

Ed Randall

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 8:30 am

Quote :
it would be good to see these outlets in full flow when they release a big load,and get some pics
I was just thinking the same thing, must rush down there the next time I get a Mogden discharge email;

Remember, Mogden is constantly discharging (see https://t-a-c.forumotion.com/t414p15-improvements-at-the-mogden-sewage-works#11511 ) but most of the time it is fully treated waste, ie really very clean water. If there are Herons there, there is probably Heron food present. Ditto seagulls... Anyone tried fishing just downstream of one? Can you get on to Isleworth Ait at low tide or is it strictly no fishing?

I believe the reason it looks black in this case is because it is clear, so the light is not reflected back and it appears dark compared to the surrounding water which is full of sediment, which reflects the light. (This is completely different to the blackness of filth discharged from a CSO during a full storm dump as in those pictures I took from Blackfriars the other day.)
Back to top Go down
James Annear

PostSubject: Tidal sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 100_0328
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 100_0329
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 100_0330

Just an update of Thames water and the current governments "Green policies" in action.
When jim and dave took photos of this bit last august the goo was brown,
Do you think the government will give grants for "Mosquito nets" this summer?

Support your local environment, not Big Business, Thames water can go hang themselves.
Back to top Go down
David Harvey

David Harvey

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:57 pm

Well said mate, think we should be testing that pool, be in touch
Back to top Go down
Ed Randall

Ed Randall

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 8:39 am

James, any chance of some up-to-date photos of the green banks of Hammersmith at low tide.
All that flow must surely have given it a good clean and washed most of that stuff away?
Back to top Go down
James Annear

PostSubject: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:09 am

Alright Ed,
I,ll take some new photos and put them up, but i,m going to wait until April 6th
so they are exactly a year to the day of when i took the others.
As regards the "Green Slime", if it comes back in the summer after a sewage discharge
it will prove that its a mixture of sewage and hot weather, not the Inter-tidal mud garbage
that the EA came out with.
At the moment and for most of the last nine months the foreshore has been pretty clean,
i should know, i,ve been fishing it all year, in fact i,ve not fished anywhere else this year,
most of the time its been patchy, but its the tidal, i have though had a few good results.

James
Back to top Go down
Ed Randall

Ed Randall

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:33 am

Cheers James, it would be useful if you could take some now as well as on April 6th, so we get a better year-round record.
Back to top Go down
James Annear

PostSubject: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 2:45 pm

Its all dependant on the tide Ed, if its low and during the day
when i,m indoors i,ll take some.
cheers
james
Back to top Go down
James Annear

PostSubject: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 Img03311
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 Img03410
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 Img03510
Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 Img03610
All clean and no green, light levels were pants Ed,
Send these off to Thames Water and EA,
Mother nature rules
Back to top Go down
Jeffery Tomes

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 7:20 pm

I know this spot I walk past it on way to ffc it is always a sore sight and smells in summer on friday the river was very sludgy looking and there is always a froth on the surface sewage for sure Barnes area

Ed Randall wrote:
Cheers James, it would be useful if you could take some now as well as on April 6th, so we get a better year-round record.
Back to top Go down
James Annear

PostSubject: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 4:58 am

Fair comments Jeffrey, but compared too 12 months ago, the river looks a lot healthier.
The nature and shape of this part of the river make it a gathering point for all kinds of
flotsam and jetsam, (and i mean all kinds), they could re-name this area " Hammerstiff".

The smell you refer too, is, i admit, a bit lively in the summer, but its just the tidal nature
of the river, a good analogy would be, if you stirred up the bottom of a muddy pool with
your boots, you get an evil pong. Because of its ebb and flow nature you get the same
thing with the river, again its a lot better than it was 12 months ago.

The foam you mention is undoubtedly sewage, but again the shape of the riverbank comes
into play, if you were to divide this area into four parts using the bridge as its centre,
i,e:
1: Barnes Downstream.
2: Barnes Upstream.
3: Hammersmith Downstream.
4: Hammersith Upstream.
The only area you see lots of foam is 3, Hammersmith Downstream, (where i live).
The combination of Riverside properties being built, (Thames Waters pet hobby of creating more sewage by selling their land to St Georges),
The collection of houseboats at Dove pier/Furneval gardens (Oil slick/rubbish city), and the tidal nature and shape of the the river bank are the main causes for this. Again not as bad as it was 12 months ago.

Apart from that, the area has fished quite well for those who can put the time and effort in,
If there are any Eel enthusiasts out there, look no further than Hammersmith bridge fished from the barnes side,
(go and watch the Cormorants).
Hard and dirty and not everyones cup of tea i admit, but if you want to go home after fishing smelling of roses,
go to a commercial.

p.s.
Does the smell get stronger the nearer you get to FFC?
(Care Free)
Chavski

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tidal Sewage and whats left behind   Tidal Sewage and whats left behind - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tidal Sewage and whats left behind
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next