Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum
TAC Members Forum
If you have arrived here and not yet signed up as a member,
please register below using your real name.

Please create a Username that is your First Name and Surname eg. "Joe Bloggs"
(This will ensure quicker activation and save us the need to contact you about changing it)

Our Forum Membership uses Real Names only.
Aliases, Handles, Pseudonyms or any other types of made-up name are not allowed.
This helps to keep it an open and friendly place. Thanks!

www.rivertac.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  TAC Home PageTAC Home Page  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Thames Water live discharge map
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 6:32 pm by Ed Randall

» Feargal Sharkey accuses Thames Water of sewage 'dumping'
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 4:24 pm by Ed Randall

» COVID-19 - Get Fishing Again
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 1:04 pm by Julian Jones

» Eel Trap Molesey - 2019
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyTue May 05, 2020 12:29 pm by Glyn Jones

» GAS STOVES
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 7:13 am by Keith Collett

» Man missing in Thames at Shepperton
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 pm by Ed Randall

» Semi-Tidal Draw off 2019
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyMon Oct 28, 2019 9:55 pm by Ed Randall

» Citizen Science forum at ZSL ~ 29th October 2019
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySat Sep 28, 2019 4:19 pm by Ed Randall

» Citizen Crane Forum ~ 16th and 29th October 2019
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySat Sep 28, 2019 4:16 pm by Ed Randall

» Tidefest match result 2019
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 am by Ed Randall

» Closed season retained following public consultation
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 12:20 pm by Ed Randall

» Houseboat destroyed by fire in Hampton
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyMon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 am by Ed Randall

» Local tackle shops
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 1:16 pm by Trevor Rowe

» New Season, New Licence...
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 12:24 am by Julian Jones

» FORCE Clean-Up in Donkey Wood ~ Sun 14th April 2019
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySun Apr 21, 2019 8:19 am by Ed Randall

» The Big one - Farnborough 23rd-24th March 2019
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 11:30 am by Keith Collett

» Thames So Full Of Cocaine It’s Pranging Out London’s Eels
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2019 9:27 am by Trevor Rowe

» "Citizen Crane" project - sampling dates
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 am by Ed Randall

» New Members: Real Names please
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 am by Ed Randall

» Semi-Tidal draw-off 2018
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySat Oct 27, 2018 5:44 pm by Ed Randall

» Thames Water Blitz - 19th/20th October 2018
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyTue Oct 02, 2018 7:21 pm by Ed Randall

» Citizen Crane Forum ~ 26th October 2018
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 7:41 pm by Ed Randall

» Invitation to the 2018 Eel forum ~ 15th October
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 7:38 pm by Ed Randall

» Mystery of dead eels found in rivers
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 6:43 pm by Ed Randall

» Eel Trap Clean Up/ training 5th May 2018 10am
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 6:40 pm by Ed Randall

» A new address for 2017 ~ forum.rivertac.org
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 12:48 pm by Admin

» Hampton Riviera removed
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 10:41 pm by Ed Randall

» Roads closed everywhere ~ July 29th/30th ~ bike race
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 10:14 am by John LeSurf

» *Thames Tunnel (Tideway Tunnel)*
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 am by John LeSurf

» new hotel at hampton court means loss of fishing
So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 1:26 pm by Ed Randall

Angling Data View
River Levels
UK Map

Thames Tides

So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?

Go down 
+4
patrick barker
David Harvey
Keith Collett
Admin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? Empty
PostSubject: So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?   So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Good question for everyone.

Before clicking the link, what did you think, know. These are new rules that have come into force but not as widely publicised as they could have been.

here you go taking stock
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivertac.org
Keith Collett

Keith Collett

Male Posts : 2557

PostSubject: Re: So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?   So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 9:13 am

Just been cheaking the rules and regs, I see the rules and regs still have not been up dated in our area,

South East region rod fishing byelaws

On 1 April 2011, Thames and Southern regions merged to form South East region. We will add the new South East region byelaws as soon as they have been finalised. For the time being, please refer to the Southern and Thames byelaws below:

Southern region rod fishing byelaws (PDF, 176KB)
Thames region rod fishing byelaws (PDF, 900KB)

why is this taken so long, if you look at the other areas, they have updated there laws (most have)

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/31465.aspx

somethink I found out last year, if I go non-migrating Trout fishing at Chertsey bridge, fly fishing, say mid July and I catch 10 5Ib non-migrating Trout, (I wish), I can take them all home to eat, there is no bag limit on Trout to take home, this should be addressed, every one goes on about the EE taking course fish, but no one is banging the drum about the poor Trout,

these rules and regs should be updated as soon as possible,

as a citizen and a law a binding person, and someone of low IQ, I find these rules and regs very confuzing

Keith
Back to top Go down
David Harvey

David Harvey

Male Posts : 5381

PostSubject: Re: So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?   So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 9:18 am

Good shout mate.

I have spoken to the EA man who is amalgamating them twice in the last month, and been assured they are being done. Time for another chase methinks.
Back to top Go down
http://Rivertac.org
Keith Collett

Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?   So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 9:51 am

just one other thing, somethink that should be put on things like this, is a amended number and date

if you look on the fishing regs for other areas, these that have amended theirs, there is no menchun on when it was done, all they have done is deleted and inserted words

so when the new rules and regs come out for our area, that will be version 1 dated 2020 Wink ,

come the next year , they amend the rules and regs about taking of non-migrating trout, to "all non-migrating trout to be put back, that will be verson 2, dated 2021, that way people will know if their version is out of date or not, that way, no one can nicked, if the date/version is the same, they know then that know rules and regs have changed.

it will be down to the individual to check the regs each year when he/she/clubs/others gets his/hers/other clubs/ET new fishing licence

any amendments to the rules and regs should be done just before the new season starts

all fishing tackle shops should have copies of the up to date rules and regs on the wall or somewhere where fisherperson, male/female/others can read check them

Keith
Back to top Go down
David Harvey

David Harvey

Male Posts : 5381

PostSubject: Re: So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?   So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 9:54 am

Fair points mate, will pass them on. Smile

The bylaws won't actually change as such, that was a question I asked. To change them it would need a full consultation which takes years.
Back to top Go down
http://Rivertac.org
Keith Collett

Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?   So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 2:29 pm

just looked up the rules and regs, for our area, they have been updated again, not sure wot has been changed, but as off today these are the latest verson 17 dated April 2013

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Leisure/South_East_Fisheries_Byelaws_-_17_April_2013.pdf

i wish they woood just say, go to page 5, par 4, line 2, delete 6 word along, "BIG", insert "DiXX", then once a year, bring out main verson,
Back to top Go down
Keith Collett

Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?   So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 10:45 am

So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? Dates_10

Over the last few years, I have been looking at the rules and regs of fishing, they are very confusing to anyone coming into the sport, the worst one is when you can and cannot fish, the dates, you have to go to page 6 of the Environment Agency Rod Fishing Byelaws - South East Region book to find out the dates when fishing starts and finishes, even then it is a bit confusing, 15 March to 15 June (dates inclusive).  Now that may seem ok to some people, but not to a lot of people, just this year, on the 15 June, a Saturday, in-between Hampton court and Shepperton Lock, a saw 6 people fishing, including one 13yr old, they all said the same thing, read the rules or tried to, and they all thought they could fish that day, the 13yr old had just got his first fishing (£5) licence, just started fishing and he thought he could fish that day, all but one packed up, the one that stayed had come all the way from Battersea by bus, so he stayed until later.  3 of the people had got bait from the local fishing shops and they had not been informed they could not fish today, now should fishing tackle shops inform people when and when not to fish, that is up to you to decide.

Now I have been studying other events with dates and timings, and I have not yet found any major rules and regs that say “inclusive”, it is always start date, timings and finish date and timings, so why can’t fishing do the same.  

i.e.   a restaurant is open from 1800hrs to 0130hrs,  will it say on door,

1. Restaurant closed from 0130hrs to 1800hrs (timings inclusive)

2. Restaurant open from 1800hrs to 0140hrs

Now a lot of people reading this are going to be Fishing-persons who have been fishing for years and know the rules and regs, but I am looking outside the box, from someone who is just taking up the sport and trying to find out when they can fish.  The dates should be on the first page, not first mentioned on page 6.

Worded something like this

Coarse Fishing season starts 16 June
Coarse Fishing season finishes 14 March
15 March to 15 June (inclusive) closed  

(My amended version)

Something like this should be on the fishing licence, (the dates that is) not spending lots of money paying someone to paint a pic of a fish, have it on the child’s licence, but I and many other fisher-person, once we get our licence, check name, sign it and put in away, never to see it again until someone from the EA would like to see it when out fishing,  

Now, this is my version on trying to make things a lot better for people coming into the sport, if anyone can come out with a version better than this and is workable, let’s hear or read it.
Back to top Go down
patrick barker

patrick barker

PostSubject: Re: So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?   So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 5:22 pm

what if the chub, perch, barbel etc etc happen to be longer than 20 centimetres. does that mean there are no limits to how many people can take home? the bylaw only mentions fish of less than this size.
Back to top Go down
Richard Crimp
Admin
Admin
Richard Crimp

Male Posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?   So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 10:31 pm

patrick barker wrote:
what if the chub, perch, barbel etc etc happen to be longer than 20 centimetres. does that mean there are no limits to how many people can take home? the bylaw only mentions fish of less than this size.

Legal Removal of Fish

On rivers, an angler may only remove on any given day: -
• One pike of up to 65 cm.
• Two grayling of 30 – 38 cm.
• Up to a total of fifteen small fish of up to 20 cm of the following native species: barbel, chub, common and silver bream, common carp, crucian carp, dace, perch, pike, roach, rudd, tench and smelt. This is to permit the use of live and dead fish as bait where allowed by local rules.

It means the opposite Patrick. So taking the pike as an example, you can take "One pike of up to 65cm", meaning you can't take one that's any longer. The key phrase is "up to".

That said, it's a reasonable point and I'm sure we can ask them to reword it at a later date to read something like: "One pike of up to and not exceeding 65cm" for example.

Richard Cool
Back to top Go down
William Pettigrew

William Pettigrew

Male Posts : 1125

PostSubject: Re: So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?   So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 5:40 am

simple as that.
i hate reading about removal of fish.
i just obey my rule.... none.
Back to top Go down
Ed Randall

Ed Randall

Male Posts : 3326

PostSubject: Re: So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?   So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 8:16 am

I just read the new Angling Trust "Essential Guide to Elementary Freshwater Fishery Law & Enforcement in England" and on page 2 there is the legal definition of the word "take".  Read that alongside section 1.7 of the byelaws which flits between the words "remove" and "take" in the same context and you will be really confused. scratch

I have just emailed the person at the EA, suggesting that 1.7 be reworded with "remove" instead of "take" and also pointed out a few of the other confusions encountered.
Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?   So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 8:08 pm

William Pettigrew wrote:
simple as that.
i hate reading about removal of fish.
i just obey my rule.... none.

Well said Willie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?   So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames? Empty

Back to top Go down

So how may fish can you legally take/remove from the Thames?
Page 1 of 1