Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum
TAC Members Forum
If you have arrived here and not yet signed up as a member,
please register below using your real name.

Please create a Username that is your First Name and Surname eg. "Joe Bloggs"
(This will ensure quicker activation and save us the need to contact you about changing it)

Our Forum Membership uses Real Names only.
Aliases, Handles, Pseudonyms or any other types of made-up name are not allowed.
This helps to keep it an open and friendly place. Thanks!

www.rivertac.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  TAC Home PageTAC Home Page  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Thames Water live discharge map
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 6:32 pm by Ed Randall

» Feargal Sharkey accuses Thames Water of sewage 'dumping'
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 4:24 pm by Ed Randall

» COVID-19 - Get Fishing Again
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 1:04 pm by Julian Jones

» Eel Trap Molesey - 2019
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyTue May 05, 2020 12:29 pm by Glyn Jones

» GAS STOVES
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 7:13 am by Keith Collett

» Man missing in Thames at Shepperton
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 pm by Ed Randall

» Semi-Tidal Draw off 2019
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyMon Oct 28, 2019 9:55 pm by Ed Randall

» Citizen Science forum at ZSL ~ 29th October 2019
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptySat Sep 28, 2019 4:19 pm by Ed Randall

» Citizen Crane Forum ~ 16th and 29th October 2019
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptySat Sep 28, 2019 4:16 pm by Ed Randall

» Tidefest match result 2019
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 am by Ed Randall

» Closed season retained following public consultation
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 12:20 pm by Ed Randall

» Houseboat destroyed by fire in Hampton
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyMon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 am by Ed Randall

» Local tackle shops
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 1:16 pm by Trevor Rowe

» New Season, New Licence...
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 12:24 am by Julian Jones

» FORCE Clean-Up in Donkey Wood ~ Sun 14th April 2019
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptySun Apr 21, 2019 8:19 am by Ed Randall

» The Big one - Farnborough 23rd-24th March 2019
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 11:30 am by Keith Collett

» Thames So Full Of Cocaine It’s Pranging Out London’s Eels
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyTue Jan 22, 2019 9:27 am by Trevor Rowe

» "Citizen Crane" project - sampling dates
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 am by Ed Randall

» New Members: Real Names please
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 am by Ed Randall

» Semi-Tidal draw-off 2018
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptySat Oct 27, 2018 5:44 pm by Ed Randall

» Thames Water Blitz - 19th/20th October 2018
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyTue Oct 02, 2018 7:21 pm by Ed Randall

» Citizen Crane Forum ~ 26th October 2018
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 7:41 pm by Ed Randall

» Invitation to the 2018 Eel forum ~ 15th October
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 7:38 pm by Ed Randall

» Mystery of dead eels found in rivers
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 6:43 pm by Ed Randall

» Eel Trap Clean Up/ training 5th May 2018 10am
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 6:40 pm by Ed Randall

» A new address for 2017 ~ forum.rivertac.org
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 12:48 pm by Admin

» Hampton Riviera removed
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 10:41 pm by Ed Randall

» Roads closed everywhere ~ July 29th/30th ~ bike race
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 10:14 am by John LeSurf

» *Thames Tunnel (Tideway Tunnel)*
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 am by John LeSurf

» new hotel at hampton court means loss of fishing
Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 1:26 pm by Ed Randall

Angling Data View
River Levels
UK Map

Thames Tides

Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence

Go down 
+3
James Mitchell
Paul Klinkenborg
Admin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence Empty
PostSubject: Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence   Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 2:14 pm

17-Nov-2011

An angler in Boston has paid a high price for fishing illegally and giving false identification details to an Environment Agency water bailiff.

Magistrates found Modestas Poskus, of Union Street, Boston, guilty of fishing without a licence and providing false details following a trial on 10 November.

Poskus was fined £100 for the rod licence offence and £70 for failing to give the correct identification details. He was also ordered to pay costs of £316 and a £15 court fee.

The Environment Agency bailiff responded after receiving a report of suspected illegal fishing at West Fen Drain, Bunkers Hill, Boston, from a member of public on the morning of 10 February 2011.

A second man, Andrius Ulickas, of Castle Square, Wyberton West Road, Boston, was fishing with Poskus when they were approached by the bailiff. Andrius pleaded guilty at a hearing on the 12 September 2011. Magistrates ordered him to pay a £100 fine for fishing without a rod licence and £80 legal costs.

David Hawley, Environment Manager, said: “The Environment Agency takes fishing without a licence extremely seriously. All the money we receive from rod licence sales is ploughed back into making our fisheries better, so the people who don’t buy a licence are just cheating their sport and other anglers.

“Anyone thinking of fishing without a licence should watch out because, as this case shows, there will be a bailiff about and paying the licence fee is considerably cheaper than the fine they may get.”

Suspected illegal fishing activities should be reported to the Environment Agency’s 24-hour incident hotline on 0800 80 70 60.

Licences may be bought from post offices, via the Environment Agency website (www.environment-agency.gov.uk/fish) or by dialling 08701 662662 (telesales). They run from 1 April to 31 March and two are required if an angler is using three or four rods.

Anyone caught fishing without a valid rod licence can expect to be prosecuted and face a fine of up to £2,500.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivertac.org
Paul Klinkenborg

PostSubject: Reporting poachers - a long and frsutrating process...   Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Looks like the EA took that call seriously. However, when I tried to report illegal out-of-season fishing on a Hertfordshire river (at my own expense on my mobile) I got through to a woman who could hardly understand/speak English and had trouble in even getting the name of the town right!
She then wanted the postcode, which I didn't have in full as I was visiting the area, so I told her the name of the road and the nearest road junction (this is good enough for the police, AA, etc.) - but she then reeled off a list of towns that had roads with similar names! Eventually I had to spell the name of the town for her, then the road again, by which time I was wondering if I was wasting my time, not to mention my pay-as-you-go minutes.
Anybody else had a similar experience?
Back to top Go down
James Mitchell

James Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence   Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Criminal record for failing to buy £27 licence = quasi police state.

Utterly disproportionate response for somebody who probably didn't even know he was breaking the law.

p.s. I just reread this, and what is even more disconcerting is this came from somebody ringing up to report "illegal fishing." On what evidence did they report it, how could they possibly know that the two master criminals didn't have a licence? Lets be clear - what they actually reported was simply two blokes fishing so the EA could come along and check - I cannot see any possible cause for suspicion from the EA press release.
Back to top Go down
Richard Crimp
Admin
Admin
Richard Crimp

Male Posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence   Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 5:43 pm

The more people that are checked the better, and all the greater - IMO - if they get even heavier fines, as well as a criminal record, simple as.

Richard

Back to top Go down
James Annear

Male Posts : 670

PostSubject: Angler left counting the cost of fishing without licence   Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 5:52 pm

The gentleman in question is £501 out of pocket, weigh that up against £27, its no brainer.
I think if that chap gets caught again, they should double it, and everyone else who cant be bothered to pay.
Back to top Go down
Paul Klinkenborg

PostSubject: Re: Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence   Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 6:00 pm

Surely ignorance of the law is no excuse, whether it's about a £27 licence or £500 car insurance, etc...? These people were reported for 'SUSPECTED illegal fishing' by a sharp-eyed member of the public, who was PROBABLY an angler with good reason to think something illegal was going on - it DOESN'T say he/she suspected they hadn't got licences. The fact that the foreign poacher then gave a false name and address shows he was aware he was doing wrong.
Given that there are a lot of problems in that part of the world with East European poachers, I think it's good news that the EA are prepared to turn out and basically do their job. This will send a message to all the other dodgy anglers in the area that the bailiffs are out and about. If that makes it a 'police state' then so be it. What's the alternative: we make laws and then let people get away with breaking them?
Back to top Go down
John LeSurf

Male Posts : 348

PostSubject: Re: Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence   Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 11:18 am

James Mitchell The angler he reported was fishing a river out of season 14th march to 15th June, Myself and
Andy Banham have 'caught' many anglers fishing our club beats of the Roding out of season and the procedure we follow in the interest of our own safety is we make a note of car reg numbers etc, then ask the illegals to pack up and leave making them aware of the Law and they and there vehicles have been recorded.
The response is we get is normally positive and we even get them to join our club by giving them the Clubs
website.Our membership secretary informs us the results are again positive.
I have put up the eviormental agency signage of no taking of fish, which I don't know helps.
Rarely do we get the local E A Officer involed who I have his Mobile number.

John LeSurf

BDAC Fishery Officer.
Back to top Go down
James Mitchell

James Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence   Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 4:51 pm

John LeSurf wrote:
James Mitchell The angler he reported was fishing a river out of season 14th march to 15th June, Myself and
Andy Banham have 'caught' many anglers fishing our club beats of the Roding out of season and the procedure we follow in the interest of our own safety is we make a note of car reg numbers etc, then ask the illegals to pack up and leave making them aware of the Law and they and there vehicles have been recorded...

The press release states they were fishing on 10th February, which is in season.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support EA officers preventing fish poaching, illegal fishing methods, fishing out of season, illegal transportation of fish, etc, and also enforcing the rod licence.

What I think is ridiculous is criminalising people for fishing. A fixed penalty fine should be the disincentive not being hauled in front of the courts and branded a criminal for avoiding (I'm sure in many cases unintentionally) a £27 fee.

If you think that everyone who fishes without a licence should be prosecuted by the EA, well, fair enough. That is your view and my opinion is that it is on the wrong side of heavy handed. According to the EA's own figures, if everyone who went fishing without a rod licence was prosecuted, then we would be criminalising 2 million people a year for going fishing.

EA Public Attitudes to Fishing Survey 2010
The 2010 survey indicated that 9% of the population within England and Wales (4.2 million) have been freshwater fishing within the last two years. 3.3 million anglers had been fishing within the previous year. The report suggests possible reasons for the discrepancy between this figure and the 1.3 million rod licences sold may include:
- high evasion levels among anglers who fish infrequently;
- interpretation of ‘going fishing’, for example, accompanying an angler rather than personally fishing which would not require a licence.

http://publications.environment-agency.gov.uk/PDF/GEHO0610BSOS-E-E.pdf

Not having a go at anybody, I just think that kind of a situation is extremely silly, and makes a mockery of the law.

Just another example of state over-encroachment into our lives my opinion.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1921809/Headmaster-faces-ban-over-fishing-licence.html

Back to top Go down
Paul Snell

Male Posts : 437

PostSubject: Re: Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence   Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 1:06 am

Does seem a bit unfair when the directors of a major plc continue to be at large with spotless records despite their company's virtual non-stop prosecutions for infringing environmental laws.
Back to top Go down
Richard Crimp
Admin
Admin
Richard Crimp

Male Posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence   Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Paul Snell wrote:
Does seem a bit unfair when the directors of a major plc continue to be at large with spotless records despite their company's virtual non-stop prosecutions for infringing environmental laws.
If you're referring to Thames Water Paul, I think you'll find it's legal to discharge pollution ( Evil or Very Mad ), if that's what you were referring to. That aside, you cannot compare one "crime" to another and evaluate proportionality of verdict, as they are seperate crimes and have different precedents in law.

Generally speaking, the guy that's been done has had to pay a fine for not having a licence, for lying about his name and address and it's gone to court because he's a liar! If the courts don't make examples of 'licence dodgers', what incentive do they provide for anyone else to buy one? In my opinion his total fine and expenses is correct and doesn't come anywhere close to the amount of money spent trying to catch, and then take to court, time-wasters like him! Laughing

As for a Police State mentioned earlier, it always has been and it's getting worse, but I can't excuse some fellow for not buying a licence.

Hang him!!! :farao: Laughing

Richard lol!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence   Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence Empty

Back to top Go down

Angler left counting cost of fishing without licence
Page 1 of 1