Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum
TAC Members Forum
If you have arrived here and not yet signed up as a member,
please register below using your real name.

Please create a Username that is your First Name and Surname eg. "Joe Bloggs"
(This will ensure quicker activation and save us the need to contact you about changing it)

Our Forum Membership uses Real Names only.
Aliases, Handles, Pseudonyms or any other types of made-up name are not allowed.
This helps to keep it an open and friendly place. Thanks!

www.rivertac.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  TAC Home PageTAC Home Page  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Thames Water live discharge map
Penton Hook weir permit EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 6:32 pm by Ed Randall

» Feargal Sharkey accuses Thames Water of sewage 'dumping'
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 4:24 pm by Ed Randall

» COVID-19 - Get Fishing Again
Penton Hook weir permit EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 1:04 pm by Julian Jones

» Eel Trap Molesey - 2019
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyTue May 05, 2020 12:29 pm by Glyn Jones

» GAS STOVES
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 7:13 am by Keith Collett

» Man missing in Thames at Shepperton
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 pm by Ed Randall

» Semi-Tidal Draw off 2019
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyMon Oct 28, 2019 9:55 pm by Ed Randall

» Citizen Science forum at ZSL ~ 29th October 2019
Penton Hook weir permit EmptySat Sep 28, 2019 4:19 pm by Ed Randall

» Citizen Crane Forum ~ 16th and 29th October 2019
Penton Hook weir permit EmptySat Sep 28, 2019 4:16 pm by Ed Randall

» Tidefest match result 2019
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 am by Ed Randall

» Closed season retained following public consultation
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 12:20 pm by Ed Randall

» Houseboat destroyed by fire in Hampton
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyMon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 am by Ed Randall

» Local tackle shops
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 1:16 pm by Trevor Rowe

» New Season, New Licence...
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 12:24 am by Julian Jones

» FORCE Clean-Up in Donkey Wood ~ Sun 14th April 2019
Penton Hook weir permit EmptySun Apr 21, 2019 8:19 am by Ed Randall

» The Big one - Farnborough 23rd-24th March 2019
Penton Hook weir permit EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 11:30 am by Keith Collett

» Thames So Full Of Cocaine It’s Pranging Out London’s Eels
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyTue Jan 22, 2019 9:27 am by Trevor Rowe

» "Citizen Crane" project - sampling dates
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 am by Ed Randall

» New Members: Real Names please
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 am by Ed Randall

» Semi-Tidal draw-off 2018
Penton Hook weir permit EmptySat Oct 27, 2018 5:44 pm by Ed Randall

» Thames Water Blitz - 19th/20th October 2018
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyTue Oct 02, 2018 7:21 pm by Ed Randall

» Citizen Crane Forum ~ 26th October 2018
Penton Hook weir permit EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 7:41 pm by Ed Randall

» Invitation to the 2018 Eel forum ~ 15th October
Penton Hook weir permit EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 7:38 pm by Ed Randall

» Mystery of dead eels found in rivers
Penton Hook weir permit EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 6:43 pm by Ed Randall

» Eel Trap Clean Up/ training 5th May 2018 10am
Penton Hook weir permit EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 6:40 pm by Ed Randall

» A new address for 2017 ~ forum.rivertac.org
Penton Hook weir permit EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 12:48 pm by Admin

» Hampton Riviera removed
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 10:41 pm by Ed Randall

» Roads closed everywhere ~ July 29th/30th ~ bike race
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 10:14 am by John LeSurf

» *Thames Tunnel (Tideway Tunnel)*
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 am by John LeSurf

» new hotel at hampton court means loss of fishing
Penton Hook weir permit EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 1:26 pm by Ed Randall

Angling Data View
River Levels
UK Map

Thames Tides

Penton Hook weir permit

Go down 
+11
Steve Holmes
Andy Banham
MilesRice
Kevin Russell
John LeSurf
Stephen Bond
JeffHowe
Ed Randall
Neil Depledge
Keith Collett
Ian Clarke
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ian Clarke

Ian Clarke

Male Posts : 35

Penton Hook weir permit Empty
PostSubject: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi

Can anyone tell me if you need a weir permit to fish Penton Hook Island i was told that you didnt need one anymore.
But when i rang the ea today they said you do £27.00 10 days turn around any info would be appreciated.

Ian scratch
Back to top Go down
Keith Collett

Keith Collett

Male Posts : 2557

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 9:26 am

yes Ian, you do need a weir permit to fish Penton Hook, who ever told you overerwise, is telling you pokeys, and trying to get you in trobal with the EA, so far, to my info, one bream of 8Ib, one barble of 5Ib, losts of siver bream have been court (me), just let the lock keeper know who you are, and tell him you are member of TAC,

Keith
Back to top Go down
Neil Depledge

Neil Depledge

Male Posts : 721

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 7:32 pm

Keith Collett wrote:
yes Ian, you do need a weir permit to fish Penton Hook, who ever told you otherwise, is telling you pokeys, ...

Keith

Except it WAS the EA who told us you didn't need a weir permit as long as you were fishing beyond the 2 signs on the Island.Cross the lock and the first bridge, follow the path on the main river side and after about 50 yards there is a wooden bridge. Across that bridge is a sign that faces towards the weir/lock, that says weir ticket needed BEYOND this point ie between it and the lock. The same goes on the little channel side. So between the 2 signs you do not need a weir ticket but fish between the sign and the lock and you do.

Now what the truth is I don't really know but that is what I have been told.
Back to top Go down
http://www.depledge.me.uk
Keith Collett

Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 pm

here we go again, no wonder angling is in poo street, no one knows wot is going on, every one makes up their own rules and regs, ie, you cant do this, you cant do that, do not use barbed hooks, its bad for fish, do not use pike gags to keep their months open, its bad for, "Sorry", but if I wont to use barbed hooks or a pike gag, I will use them,

non-migratort trout fishing in the closed season,

the amount of people who told me its ether against the spite of the Law or you are not realy going non-migrating trout, I am going chub fishing, as they think that their should be no fishing at all in the closed season, ever Bill rusmore does not know the rules and regs, he thinks you need a full samon licence to go non-migrating trout fishing, as he put in it last years Angling Mail, plus he sent me an e-mail, plus are you aloud to take home for the pot 2 fish or 15 fish, as long as the 15 fish are under 8" long,

Penton Hook

from the EA as I have had talks with them about this problum last year, please go to this web page

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/LandWfishing_PentonHookLock.pdf

if this does not work, go to EA main page, type in "weirs fishing, you will find lots of info on all the weirs you can fish and were you can fish and cannot fish.

on PH, you need a permit, to fish any and all of the island, there is two bits you cannot fish, the first 50yds(ish) as soon as you get on the island on the right, this is going to be fenced off soon, the other area is the bit named "NATURE RESERVE", WHICH IS ON THE LEFT hand side as you walk on to the island, ther is one more bit you cannot fish and that is the picnic area, but that is a bit iffy, reason being , that is were people let thier dogs swim in the river,

the quicker the people who make these rules and regs up and keep them updated, and all the so called experts get their act together, fishing will be a lot happier place to fish.

right, rant over

happy reading, and get them permits to fish wiers

Keith
Back to top Go down
Ed Randall

Ed Randall

Male Posts : 3326

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 9:44 pm

You are right Keith, If rules are going to be rules, they have got to be completely black and white clear and obvious and publicised properly or else the law is an ass.
Just like these new no-parking areas I read in the papers that some councils are cooking up, no signs nothing but it is a "no parking" trick that you are "supposed" to magically know about - or else you get fined - don't get me started....!
Back to top Go down
JeffHowe

Male Posts : 108

PostSubject: Penton Hook   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:21 am

Those of you that have a weir permit know that the island is for weir permit holders only. Anyone else pay up for a permit or fish below the lock for free
Taking advice from EA officials does not always mean they are wright Smile
Regards Jeff

Back to top Go down
Stephen Bond

Stephen Bond

Male Posts : 589

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 11:04 am

Back to top Go down
John LeSurf

Male Posts : 348

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Ian Clarke wrote:
Hi

Can anyone tell me if you need a weir permit to fish Penton Hook Island i was told that you didnt need one anymore.
But when i rang the ea today they said you do £27.00 10 days turn around any info would be appreciated.

Ian scratch

Sent off for a weir and lock permit last Tuesday after down loading application form and got permit back
Saturdays morning post(16th) A good turn around from the EA
Back to top Go down
Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell

Male Posts : 560

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:15 pm

What fishing times are allowed on island, thought I had seen pics from hete in the dark but website says Dawn till Dusk
Back to top Go down
Keith Collett

Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi Kevin,

it Dawn till Dusk, no over night stays, but people do do it, last year there was a lot of people with BBQs, and they were not using cow meat or pig meat to cook, so far this year, it has been quirt, plus also let the lock keeper know who you are, and tell him if you have court any megger sized catfish

Keith
Back to top Go down
MilesRice

MilesRice

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Keith Collett wrote:
Hi Kevin,

it Dawn till Dusk, no over night stays, but people do do it, last year there was a lot of people with BBQs, and they were not using cow meat or pig meat to cook, so far this year, it has been quirt, plus also let the lock keeper know who you are, and tell him if you have court any megger sized catfish

Keith

your right Keith there were alot of people night fishing the island last year but none this year so far, I bet they dont have weir licences anyway, is it worth letting the lock keeper know when these people return? also has there been cats out of penton hook I have heard they go in the marina but have not caught any myself.
Back to top Go down
Keith Collett

Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 3:42 pm

Thats nice to know, as at the moment its very fast the water, just been there, so the Cats would get in there for the carmer water
Back to top Go down
MilesRice

MilesRice

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Keith Collett wrote:
Thats nice to know, as at the moment its very fast the water, just been there, so the Cats would get in there for the carmer water

problem is at the moment all the bream are in here too so cant get past em to catch anything else!
Back to top Go down
Andy Banham

Andy Banham

Male Posts : 514

PostSubject: Penton hook   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 9:41 pm

me and l.tomlin got to ph early and 4 swims near the weir were already gone. they left late morning so may have night fished. cheers for your info keith the walk from where we parked wasn,t as bad as i thought. i think we parked in penton road just before thameside. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 10:43 pm

Andy Banham wrote:
the walk from where we parked wasn,t as bad as i thought. i think we parked in penton road just before thameside. Very Happy

The road called Riverway is best bet next time Andy Wink
Back to top Go down
Andy Banham

Andy Banham

Male Posts : 514

PostSubject: penton hook   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 11:03 am

cheers for that steve although dont mind a walk with a sit down in a comfy chair at the end Very Happy
Back to top Go down
David Harvey

David Harvey

Male Posts : 5381

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 4:32 pm

On one of my TAC outings this week spent a day with the EA fisheries and one thing was looking at Sunbury lock island.

I did make the suggestion that they could open up the lock channel side to angling from Nov - March. You used to be able to fish it from the opposite side years ago and would make an excellent Winter venue. Will keep you updated if it comes off Smile

Also our own Mr Holmes has done an excellent report on all the lock fishing facilities regarding parking etc, this is with the EA now, well done Steve Smile
Back to top Go down
http://Rivertac.org
Keith Collett

Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 6:47 pm

any chance of wier permit holders parking at the weir at penton park, as up untill a few years ago you could, then they stoped it for reason unknow to all and many
Back to top Go down
Keith Collett

Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 6:48 pm

ps

I'm a; right jack , I'm on bush bike Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
David Harvey

David Harvey

Male Posts : 5381

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Keith as per my last post, all in a report to the EA
Back to top Go down
http://Rivertac.org
Keith Collett

Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 7:00 pm

CHEERS Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Stephen Bond

Stephen Bond

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 8:10 pm

The main thing the weir permit needs is better fishing hours i.e. those outside the times when the locks are manned.
As it is, some weirs are fished by all and sundry at any time of day or night without a permit Sad

Secondly, less restrictive fishing on the sites! Several weirs only allow fishing on the walkway (some high above the water) which makes fishing pretty much impracticable.

Lastly, if some of the old sites could be restored (especially Bray lock) or new ones added like Sonning (which could be shared with RDAA) that would make the permit irresistible in my opinion.

Stephen
Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Stephen Bond wrote:
The main thing the weir permit needs is better fishing hours i.e. those outside the times when the locks are manned.

Agreed. They were talking about one or two select weirs on our patch getting night fishing last year - Penton Hook was prime candidate as away from residential areas mostly. However, the Fisheries team member initiating it moved on and in the end, it was decided to put energies into building the superb platforms Penton Hook now has.

It's something we'll raise again. Thanks for the comments Stephen.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Bond

Stephen Bond

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:

Agreed. They were talking about one or two select weirs on our patch getting night fishing last year - Penton Hook was prime candidate as away from residential areas mostly. However, the Fisheries team member initiating it moved on and in the end, it was decided to put energies into building the superb platforms Penton Hook now has.

It's something we'll raise again. Thanks for the comments Stephen.

Thanks Steve for the post.

If the L&W permit was run a little more club style i.e. with bailiffs and club style rules then it might help? That way anyone caught making a nuisance of themselves at night for example could have their permit removed. Also, non permit holders would start to get the message that a free for all is not OK and actually might buy a permit!

With regards to the hours, how about opening up some of the weirs to sunrise to sunset fishing first and seeing how things work?

Stephen
Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 10:43 pm

I think a massive part of it is weirs can kill so they're concerned about health & safety with night fishing them.

They haven't got the manpower to bailiff them either, so that won't happen. From memory, there's only 7 or 8 bailiffs from Southend to Reading to cover both sides of the river and all the thousands of ponds, lakes and canals in the region.

At least keeping it to lock hours, there is a lockie on site to oversee.

In short, beyond maybe getting some parking concessions and the odd one or two opened to nights as a possible experiment, I don't think much will change soon, realistically.

Jeff or Colin would know much more than me though so may see this and comment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Penton Hook weir permit   Penton Hook weir permit Empty

Back to top Go down

Penton Hook weir permit
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next